Space producer guidelines
This guide is designed for independent producers who want to pitch ideas to Space.
What we’re looking for
Space is home to phenomenal programming including imaginative dramas, epic movies, engaging reality series, and the daily entertainment talk showInnerspace– all in high definition. Also home to upcoming original programs Orphan Black, Panic Button, Bitten, and the upcoming Killjoys. Space content is always available at Space.ca, as well as Facebook, @SpaceChannel and other social media platforms. Space is a division of Bell Media, which is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company.
Our key demographic is adults (aged 18-54), so we’re not interested in programs aimed at children or youth audiences. We’re also not currently in the market for feature-length films or MOWs.
We actively support Canadian writers and independent production companies, and commission only Canadian-based productions, Canadian treaty co-productions and co-ventures. Currently we are only commissioning English-language projects.
All submissions must be accompanied by a Bell Media submission form signed by you (or all parties as the case may be).
In addition, we require the following:
– A clear, concise and easy-to-read description of the project (3-5 pages)
– Any support materials including character descriptions or episode breakdowns
– An explanation of why our audience would want to watch your show
– A list of key creative players (producer, writer, talent)
– A general description of each of the following: type of program (series or one-off), number and length of episodes, production timeframe, financing plan, budget top-sheet, and contact information (email address, mailing address, phone numbers)
– If you have an agent or other representation, please have them contact us
Only completed submissions along with a signed submission form will be acknowledged and reviewed.
If there is interest in your project, it may be placed into development where we will require you to further flesh out the idea. The initial review process takes up to six (6) weeks from receipt of your submission and submission form.
We receive hundreds of submissions each year and only a few will be selected. If your submission is not selected for development during the six-week review period, it is deemed withdrawn and we will not have any rights or claims to your submission. We do not retain copies of your submission and it will be returned to you or deleted. Hardcopy submissions will be returned if you provide us with a stamped self-addressed envelope; otherwise, it will be shredded. Electronic submissions will be deleted from our system.