Bell Media Becomes Exclusive Broadcast Partner of the INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017, Airing on TSN; Prince Harry Visits Toronto on May 2 to Officially Launch 2017 Games
– TSN’s Brian Williams hosts INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 Launch Ceremony featuring Prince Harry on Monday, May 2 at 10:30 a.m. ET –
– Established by Prince Harry in 2014, the INVICTUS GAMES is the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, injured, and ill active duty and veteran service members –
– TSN delivers exclusive daily coverage of the INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 from May 8-12 –
“These Games have shone a spotlight on the ‘unconquerable’ character of service men and women and their families and their ‘Invictus’ spirit. These Games have been about seeing guys sprinting for the finish line and then turning round to clap the last man in. They have been about teammates choosing to cross the line together, not wanting to come second, but not wanting the other guys to either. These Games have shown the very best of the human spirit.”
– Prince Harry, Patron of the INVICTUS GAMES
TORONTO (April 29, 2016) – Bell Media announced today it has reached an agreement to become the exclusive Canadian broadcast partner of the INVICTUS GAMES, including INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 and the upcoming INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016. Established by Prince Harry in 2014, the INVICTUS GAMES is the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, injured, and ill active duty and veteran service members.
Prince Harry visits Toronto on Monday, May 2 – marking his first visit to the city in 25 years – to officially launch the countdown to INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017. Bell Media covers the day’s special launch events with exclusive access, beginning with the official Launch Ceremony live at 10:30 a.m. ET (see below for more details).
Taking place in September 2017, the INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 will be broadcast exclusively on TSN – the latest addition to the network’s diverse roster of championship events. TSN will also broadcast exclusive coverage of this year’s INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 from May 8-12 (see below for more details).
“As the official broadcast partner of the INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017, Bell Media is proud to play a leading role in bringing this international sporting event to viewers across the country,” said Randy Lennox, President, Entertainment Production and Broadcasting, Bell Media. “We are deeply humbled to showcase the unbreakable spirit of those who bravely serve their countries.”
“The INVICTUS GAMES embody the transformative power of sport, and TSN is proud to be the exclusive Canadian broadcaster of such an inspiring event,” said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. “We are proud to say that Champions Live Here on TSN, and today, this takes on a whole new meaning with the addition of the INVICTUS GAMES. The courage and resiliency of these extraordinary service members makes them the ultimate champions.”
INVICTUS GAMES Launch
On Monday, May 2, Prince Harry will participate in a series of special launch events for INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 hosted by Bell Media personalities:
- 10:30 a.m. ET: TSN’s Brian Williams hosts the INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 Launch Ceremony at Toronto’s Royal York Hotel, where Prince Harry will join dignitaries, Michael Burns, CEO of the INVICTUS GAMES TORONTO 2017 and members of the Canadian 2016 Invictus Team.
- 12:15 p.m. ET: TSN’s Cabral “Cabbie” Richards and THE SOCIAL’s Melissa Grelo host a scrimmage with the Canadian national sledge hockey team at Ryerson’s Mattamy Athletic Centre. Prince Harry is joined by special guests including Marc Kielburger of Free The Children, motivational speaker Spencer West, and a special interview with athletes Natacha Dupuis and Steven Daniels, who will compete for Team Canada at the INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016, airing exclusively on TSN.
INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 on TSN
TSN delivers exclusive coverage of the INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 from May 8-12, airing live from the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, a state-of-the-art multi-sport facility at Walt Disney World. The event features 500 competitors from 15 nations taking part in 10 sports, including track and field, wheelchair basketball, swimming, sitting volleyball, and powerlifting.
TSN platforms deliver live coverage beginning with the two-hour INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 OPENING CEREMONY on Sunday, May 8 at 8 p.m. ET, as well as daily live coverage of multiple events on TSN GO and recap shows each night of the Games. TSN platforms also deliver the INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016 CLOSING CEREMONY on Thursday, May 12 at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Throughout the INVICTUS GAMES ORLANDO 2016, TSN’s industry-leading platforms, including SPORTSCENTRE, TSN.ca, and TSN official social media accounts, will feature news and updates on key Team Canada performances.
About the INVICTUS GAMES
The INVICTUS GAMES is the only international adaptive sporting event for wounded, injured, and sick servicemen and women, both serving and veteran. The Games use the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and generate a wider understanding and respect of all those who serve their country.
The inaugural INVICTUS GAMES, held in London in September 2014, saw more than 400 competitors from 13 nations compete in nine sports. The event attracted crowds of more than 65,000 spectators, with more than 10 million tuning in to watch the Games on the BBC.