Picked and Played: 2014/2015 Broadcast Year Pacing to be Highest on Record for Discovery’s Suite of Digital Networks
– Combined total audiences for Discovery’s digital channels up 33% for broadcast year through July –
– Discovery maintains position as Canada’s #1 most-watched entertainment specialty channel –
With the 2014/2015 broadcast year speeding to a close, Numeris (BBM Canada) confirms a record year of growth for Discovery’s suite of digital networks, in addition to confirmation that Discovery is pacing to end the season as the #1 entertainment specialty channel in primetime. From Sept. 2014 through the end of July 2015, three of the four services – Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, and the newly rebranded Discovery Velocity – are on pace to complete the year with their highest audiences on record, while Discovery Science has nearly doubled its audience during the last seven years. Combined, the total audience for all four channels is up 33%.
“With quality factual content that stands out from the competition, Discovery’s family of digital networks continue to grow by leaps and bounds,” said Paul Lewis, President and General Manager, Discovery. “Canadians have seemingly endless options for their entertainment dollar, and we’re very proud that the programming we offer continues to be a leading choice for so many.”
A closer look at the data per channel confirms:
- Investigation Discovery viewing is up 23% from Sept. 2014-July 2015 vs. same period the previous broadcast year.
- Investigation Discovery has increased its audience by at least 16% in every year since it launched in 2010, amounting to a 10-fold audience increase over that period.
- Animal Planet viewing is up 33% from Sept. 2014-July 2015 vs. same period the previous broadcast year.
- Animal Planet viewing has nearly doubled during the last five years.
- Discovery Velocity has nearly tripled its audience since launching under new branding and scheduling in Feb. 2015.
- Discovery Science has nearly doubled its viewing over the past seven years.
- Discovery has reclaimed its position as the #1 entertainment specialty channel among total viewers in primetime while maintaining its lead among key demos.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
Discovery Canada on Facebook: Facebook.com/DiscoveryCanada
Discovery Canada on Twitter: Twitter.com/DiscoveryCanada
Discovery Canada on Instagram: Instagram.com/DiscoveryCanada
Source: Numeris (BBM Canada). P2+, 9/1/14 – 8/2/15.
– DISCOVERY –