To tweet this release: http://bmpr.ca/1zdOB3O
TORONTO (October 16, 2014) – Small businesses are the backbone of the Canadian economy and make up 98% of Canada’s private enterprises.* Beginning Monday, Oct. 20, BNN recognizes and salutes small businesses across Canada with SMALL BUSINESS WEEK, highlighting some of Canada’s most innovative small companies across various sectors. Throughout the week, BNN is set to welcome experts on policy and development that will discuss the current marketplace and offer strategies and tactics designed to help small businesses survive and thrive.
“Small businesses are the most dynamic, inspiring and human part of the Canadian economy, affecting all areas of our lives,” said Grant Ellis, General Manager, BNN. “We are proud to highlight these businesses and contribute to a larger conversation that will hopefully encourage the entrepreneurial spirit in our viewers.”
A look at BNN’s SMALL BUSINESS WEEK programming, airing Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. ET:
Monday, Oct. 20
- BNN features Tecla App, a company that has developed a technology allowing people with severe disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, to operate tablets and other touch-based technologies.
- Maxime Bernier, Minister of State for Small Business and Tourism, joins BNN to discuss the current climate for small businesses in Canada.
Tuesday, Oct. 21
- BNN profiles Leatherfoot, a Toronto-based high-end shoe retailer, and looks at how the company is growing its business one step at a time while using social media to help it compete against established players.
- Tibor Shantor, Principal of Renbor Sales Solutions, discusses his eight desirable traits of successful sellers – and the ones to avoid.
- BNN unveils the CIX Top 20 live on air, showcasing the organization’s short list of Canada’s hottest innovative companies working in digital media and information and communication technology.
Wednesday, Oct. 22
- BNN takes a look at green technologies with a look at BluEarth Renewables. The Alberta-based company has been in business since 2010 and is pushing renewable energy in an industry dominated by oil.
- Dan Kelly, President of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, offers insight and advice to small business owners.
Thursday, Oct. 23
- BNN focuses on Canadian startup, People Connect, a social networking app connecting burgeoning businesses with talented people who can bring their company to the next level.
- Jeff Brown, Vice-President, Small Business, Meridian Credit Union, answers why the majority of Ontario small business owners believe the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP) could be their single greatest challenge.
Friday, Oct. 24
- BNN looks at the growing popularity of craft beer with a profile of Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery and its recipe for success.
- Doug Palmer, Regional Vice-President, Commercial Banking, Bank of Montreal (BMO), shares why, according to a recent BMO study, a majority of Canadian entrepreneurs are confident about business prospects in 2015.
- Douglas Cumming, Professor in Finance and Entrepreneurship, Schulich School of Business, discusses trends in funding for small businesses.
Additionally, on Tuesday, October 21 at 7 p.m. ET, BNN debuts the all-new original Canadian series, BARGAIN BROTHERS. The exclusive series follows the MacIver family as they manage a family-run, used-car dealership in Winnipeg. The six-episode, half-hour series celebrates the small business owner while revealing the everyday challenges and opportunities that they face.
*Industry Canada, August 2013
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
BNN – Business News Network is Canada’s only English-language television and digital service devoted to helping Canadians invest, build their businesses, and protect their family’s financial well-being. Along with 12 hours of market coverage, regular news updates, and direct access to the country’s top financial minds, the network features the only televised stock ticker with real-time data from the TSX, NYSE, and NASDAQ. Celebrating its milestone 15th year, BNN delivers real-time content across market-leading digital platforms including up-to-the-minute business news, newsmaker interviews, and stock market analyses online at BNN.ca. Listen to BNN live every weekday on SiriusXM entertainment channel Canada Talks (167) at 9 a.m., noon, and 6 p.m. ET, and catch BNN business news reports in syndication on Bell Media Radio and other participating radio stations. BNN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company.
- BNN -
For more information, please contact:
Julie MacFarlane, Bell Media, 416.384.4623 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Patricia Garcia, Bell Media, 416.384.2645 or email@example.com